Re: Spam and spam filtering, a problem new to me

Paul E Condon:

> The email *does* contain a message. It is contained in a .gif or .png
> or other image format file. These are not pictures of naked ladies,
> but images of text that touts various penny stocks. If I didn't use
> mutt, I might not have had so much puzzlement over them. I suppose
> with Outlook all the user sees is the image, which is clearly spam,
> but the user doesn't see what the spam filter sees, so, it seems, no
> amount of filter fiddling will protect against this. What to do? Are
> there new filtering techniques beyond spamassassin?

I don't really understand how it works, but I have been using
exclusively crm114 for spam protection the past two or three years and
it works really well even for this type of spam.

Once you have set up crm114 as a spam filter (there is a step-by-step
guide in /usr/share/doc/crm114), you can use it with a simple procmail
rule:

:0fw: .msgid.lock
| /usr/bin/crm -u $HOME $HOME/.crm114/mailfilter.crm --fileprefix=$HOME/.crm114/

:0
.spam/

J.
--
Whenever I hear the word 'art' I reach for my visa card.
[Agree]   [Disagree]