2 e1000 interfaces not working together

Hello list,
I have a strange problem with a machine which has 2 Intel G-Bit interfaces. The driver is e1000, kernel 2.6.17-2-686 (SMP).

Each interface is supposed to be available via a different IP-Adress. Both MAC-Adresses are known to and working with dhcp.

As long as I ifup one of the two interfaces everything is fine. Not everything though, since both IP Adresses are reachable. there is no other computer having one of the two IPs, since none of them are reachable as soon as I ifdown the interface. This is the first strange thing.

The second strange thing is, that the computer can not communicate with the network as soon as both interfaces are ifup'd Both IP-Adresses are from the same subnet, have the same subnetmask and the same gatewway.

I would be gald if someone could give mie a hint where to begin exploring this issue further. I do not have a clue what the problem could be and where I could start looking.

Our other machines with 2 networkinterfaces all have Broadcom chipsets and all of them work fine with the same setup/kernel/debian version (without any customization). This fact lets me believe that it has somehow to do with the Intel chipset. Is there some strange configuration available for these chipsets which somehow prevent them from working both enabled?

I would be very glad if you could point me in the right direction. I am so not knowing where to start, that I even do not know which keywords to use for an search engine...

Thanks in advance,
udo.