Re: Installing source packages?

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 09:14:27AM +0200, Jef Driesen wrote:
When I install a source package, the package installs correctly and
replaces the binary package. I used the debian documentation [1] to do
this. But when I check for upgrades, the package manager wants to
replace my newly compiled package with the original binary one again.

The package I want to replace is libexif12. The strange thing is that if
I follow the same procedure for another source package (eog in my case),
the package manager is perfectly happy with it.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) if that matters.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

$ apt-get source libexif12
$ cd libexif-0.6.12
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
$ sudo dpkg -i ../libexif12_0.6.12-2_i386.deb

$ apt-get source eog
$ cd eog-2.14.3
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
$ sudo dpkg -i ../eog_2.14.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
   libexif12
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/57.7kB of archives.
After unpacking 4096B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

The reason is because your package has the same version number as the
package in the archive, but a different md5sum.  This makes dpkg think
that something is corrupted and it wants to fix the problem by replacing
your package. Add a changelog entry to make the version something like 0.6.12-2.0.0.1~dreisen0, which is greater than the current version of
0.6.12-2, but which will still cause future versions to show up as
upgrades.

Alterenatively, you can plae the package on hold

Your method seems to work fine. But I still don't understand why dpkg doesn't want to replace eog. Because the checksum is also different in that case.

BTW you have some very helpful documentation on your website!