Re: Installing source packages?

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 09:14:27AM +0200, Jef Driesen wrote:
> When I install a source package, the package installs correctly and
> replaces the binary package. I used the debian documentation [1] to do
> this. But when I check for upgrades, the package manager wants to
> replace my newly compiled package with the original binary one again.
>
> The package I want to replace is libexif12. The strange thing is that if
> I follow the same procedure for another source package (eog in my case),
> the package manager is perfectly happy with it.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) if that matters.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
>
> $ apt-get source libexif12
> $ cd libexif-0.6.12
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
> $ sudo dpkg -i ../libexif12_0.6.12-2_i386.deb
>
> $ apt-get source eog
> $ cd eog-2.14.3
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
> $ sudo dpkg -i ../eog_2.14.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
>    libexif12
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/57.7kB of archives.
> After unpacking 4096B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

The reason is because your package has the same version number as the
package in the archive, but a different md5sum.  This makes dpkg think
that something is corrupted and it wants to fix the problem by replacing
your package.  Add a changelog entry to make the version something like
0.6.12-2.0.0.1~dreisen0, which is greater than the current version of
0.6.12-2, but which will still cause future versions to show up as
upgrades.

Alterenatively, you can plae the package on hold

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez