Re: WTF is binding "Control-O" key in Gnome apps?

José Alburquerque <jaalburquerque@cox.net> writes:
> Miles, sorry didn't notice your thread earlier. :(  On my system I use
> the Keyboard Indicator applet for switching between keyboards (Is this
> what you mean by switching input methods?)

Input methods are not really alternate keyboards, rather, they're "input
systems" you use for entering languages like Japanese or Chinese that
can't use simple direct keyboard input.  Often this includes dictionary
lookup (and user disambiguation of that).

> My system does not react to either CTRL-O or CTRL-SPACE in any way that
> I can notice in gnome apps.  I tried CTRL-O in bluefish (html editor)
> and it opened a file dialog so that I can "O"pen a file (as is shown in
> the file menu).

Input methods are probably not enabled unless you are using a language
that needs them; I don't know exactly what enables the gnome hotkey,
e.g., it could be the locale specified via LANG (I use "ja_JP.utf8") or
by installation of a input system (I think the one I have installed is
"iiimf" or something like that).

Sorry to be vague, the documentation for this stuff is often very
confusing and flaky, and there are many packages which seem like they
_might_ be in charge.

Oddly, I have _different_ input method packages installed on two
different machines -- on one it's something like iiimf-le-canna, and on
the other it's kinput2-canna -- but the "hotkey behavior" is the same on
both (Shift-Space and Control-O both toggle the input method).  I've
searched the config files for both systems, but I only find Shift-Space
mentioned (in /etc/kinput2/ccdef.kinput2).

I just tried xterm, btw, and _it_ shows the same behavior, so perhaps
it's not gnome-related at all.  The main non-gnome GUI program I use is
Emacs, so perhaps it specifically disables this behavior?

I dunno, I'm really confused.  The only thing that's clear is that the
configuration for this stuff sucks ... :-/

-Miles

--
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson