Re: Mouse Problems with KVM Switch

On Friday 22 September 2006 23:19, David Christensen wrote:
> aladdin wrote:
> > Has anyone found a solution (besides a capacitor connected
> > across the mouse leads) to the problem of the mouse going
> > bonkers when you switch a KVM between windows and linux?
>
> A modern electronic KVM switch with appropriate cables shouldn't need
> any external circuitry if everything is designed and working correctly.
>

> Finding a multi-O/S compatible KVM switch is a non-trivial undertaking.
> As I understand it, there are and have been many mouse protocols over
> the years and most are/were proprietary.  I went through the exercise of
> buying, testing, and returning several 4+ port models at a retailer a
> few years back and seem to recall that the IOGear unit had the best
> compatibility, but one fatal flaw -- it used the Ctrl key as a hotkey
> for switching between machines and that's the fire button for Duke Nukem
> 3D.  :-)  I ended up with a Raritan Switchman (4-port), but had to
> endure persistent flakiness.  It now has a bad cable and bad port, so I
> need to replace it.
>

> I have since recommended and installed 2-port IOGear KVM's for clients
> (Windows XP and Windows 2003 only, no Linux); they work flawlessly and
> use the Scroll Lock key.
>

> I curious about a KVM topology that uses dongles on the computers,
> Gigabit Ethernet, and an interface box at the operator location.  All I
> really need is keyboard and video for servers, but mouse, speakers,
> microphone, and/or USB would be useful for desktops.  Does anybody have
> experience with such?
>

> David

Wow!  I appreciate that David.  That's the most complete explanation  I've heard
so far.  I'm going to try Jeff's idea, but I think I've tried it already (for me, I've been
living with this thing for about three years, so have forgotten some of the things
I've tried; everytime I switch to windows, it's OK, but when I switch back, I have to
reboot the Linux machine).  I did read about the hardware fix, and evidently several
people tried it and it worked, but I agree with you- that's not a real solution, and the
fact the KVMs work OK with windows means there IS a software fix somehow.

I must say, 99% of the posts, forums, and mailing lists I've seen say "Find a KVM that
works", which I think is sort of your bottom line.  It's sort of disappointing that all of
the KVMs seem to work with windows, and in every other respect Linux is so much
more stable and reliable than windows, except in this one area.

The one I have is a Belkin.  The one thing I haven't done is to try restarting X when it
happens, simply because I haven't gotten around to looking up the startup/shutdown
script, but this is almost as bad as rebooting.

If you hear anything new, please post.

Thanks,
Allen