RE: Mouse Problems with KVM Switch

aladdin wrote:
> Has anyone found a solution (besides a capacitor connected
> across the mouse leads) to the problem of the mouse going
> bonkers when you switch a KVM between windows and linux?

A modern electronic KVM switch with appropriate cables shouldn't need
any external circuitry if everything is designed and working correctly.

Finding a multi-O/S compatible KVM switch is a non-trivial undertaking.
As I understand it, there are and have been many mouse protocols over
the years and most are/were proprietary.  I went through the exercise of
buying, testing, and returning several 4+ port models at a retailer a
few years back and seem to recall that the IOGear unit had the best
compatibility, but one fatal flaw -- it used the Ctrl key as a hotkey
for switching between machines and that's the fire button for Duke Nukem
3D.  :-)  I ended up with a Raritan Switchman (4-port), but had to
endure persistent flakiness.  It now has a bad cable and bad port, so I
need to replace it.

I have since recommended and installed 2-port IOGear KVM's for clients
(Windows XP and Windows 2003 only, no Linux); they work flawlessly and
use the Scroll Lock key.

I curious about a KVM topology that uses dongles on the computers,
Gigabit Ethernet, and an interface box at the operator location.  All I
really need is keyboard and video for servers, but mouse, speakers,
microphone, and/or USB would be useful for desktops.  Does anybody have
experience with such?

David