Re: sarge upgrade and preempt kernel

Adrian Midgley wrote, On 2006-09-22 04:35:
David Mulcahy wrote:
I understand that, (but they do provide desktop software) but if you are running debian on a server you probably know a bit about what you are doing and are probably prepared for a kernel compile.

That set the bar high.

I don't think people who run NT/2003 on a server are ready to compile
their kernel, so there may be a permissible range between there where
people are allowed to run Debian but regard a kernel compile as a large
task.

A kernel recompile takes a fair number of packages (and build time), but using the package kernel-package and following the instructions in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/examples makes it relatively straightforward.

Arthur.