Re: text/Fonts missing in certain apps ???

On 09/22/2006 10:38 AM, anthony wrote:
On 9/20/06, Mumia W.. <paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net> wrote:

On 09/20/2006 04:48 PM, anthony wrote:
> On 9/19/06, Mumia W. <mumia.w.18.spam+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/18/2006 06:46 PM, anthony wrote:
>> > hi Liam,
>> >
>> > yeah, loads - here's the entries from     /var/log/Xorg.0.log   :
>> >
>> > (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in
"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc".
>> >        Entry deleted from font path.
>> >        (Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc").
>> > [...]
>>
>> Is xfonts-base installed?
>>
>> Run "aptitude search '~ixfonts-base'"
>>
>> Note, I'm a Sarge user, so I don't have any experience with XOrg, only
>> XFree86.
>>

> yep its installed

Try "dpkg-reconfigure xfonts-base"

If that doesn't work, run 'mkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc. In fact,
you should probably run mkfontdir for all of the font directories that
give you those (WW) warnings in the Xorg.log file.

Some programs use fontconfig. You can rebuild the fontconfig cache files
by issuing "fc-cache -s -v -f" as root.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

Hello there,

so I checked the Xorg.log file :

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
       Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID" does not exist.
       Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
does
not exist.
       Entry deleted from font path.

$r/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/s$

(==) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb"

But, when I try to mkfontdir these directories, I get an error :

thinking:/home/anthony# mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic
/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic/: opendir: No such file or directory
thinking:/home/anthony# mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic
/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic/: opendir: No such file or directory
thinking:/home/anthony# mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/X11/CID
/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/: opendir: No such file or directory
thinking:/home/anthony#

Sorry, I'm a bit green in terms of understanding how fonts work under X and
how this links up with each app. Do these directories, the ones listed in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf need to actually contain .ttf fonts? could you
explain or
direct me to a resource that explains this a bit. I'll carry on trying the
other bits of advice from you and Liam, but I'm a bit lost without
understanding the core functionality of these files

Thanks for the continuing help

Anthony

It's not fatal to have a few of those font warnings coming from Xorg. Unless you are interested in reading Russian text, you won't miss Cyrillic fonts. I don't think those fonts are your problem.

Do an update. I remember that there was a font bug in Etch about a week ago, but it was fixed. Perhaps that's your issue.

--
paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net