Re: df and du disagree, or "How to get 1.1GB of data onto a 650MB CD"

On 22.09.06 09:14, re2823@Safe-mail.net wrote:
> I have a strange problem: I have an iso image file which
> (according to ls) is 569M in size:
>
> poota:~# ls -lh image.iso
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 569M 2006-09-12 15:12 image.iso
> Then I mount the iso, loopback style:
> mount image.iso temp/ -o loop
> The relevant line from "df -h":
> poota:~# df -h
> /root/image.iso       569M  569M     0 100% /root/temp
>
> And the result from running "du -sh":
> poota:~# du -sh temp/
> 1.1G    temp/
> Could anyone please tell me how there can be such a huge
> difference between the output from df and du?

there probably is/are sparse files (containing much of empty space which was
not used on the disk)

> My real problem comes when I want to remove one small file from
> the file system, and turn it back into an iso - the resulting iso
> image is 1.1GB (and I can no longer write it to a CD!)

you probably copied the rest of files elsewhere. Copy them with
--sparse=always
Remember half the people you know are below average.