Re: Re: Recent upgrade causes drive lettering scheme to alternate from hda to hde

Kevin Mark wrote:
> > I recently upgrade a perfectly functional sarge laptop to etch. It has
> > one standard internal IDE hard drive. Now, about half the time it boots
> > up as hda, and the other half the time it boots up as hde. After the
> > initramfs stage, if the drive is identified as hde, it fails to boot
> > unless I create a symlink from /dev/hde2 to /dev/hda2. There seems to be
> > no rhyme or reason to why the same drive sometimes appears as hda and
> > sometimes as hde.
> Love the blog(webloyalty and u-haul).

Thanks -- seems my "consumer protection" entries get the most mileage. :)

> And could you provide more hardware details? Does this happend with
> any live cd's, if you tried any?

The machine is an HP Omnibook 500 (circa 2000-2001). I haven't tried any
live CDs since the laptop doesn't have a CD drive currently, although I
could install one if it would help troubleshoot. I suspect it's something
particular to the set of packages in Etch. I'd like to somehow isolate
whether it's a package or the kernel.

Interestingly, the error only pops up after the RAM disk stage, so
apparently GRUB sees the disk correctly (/dev/hda2).

I've posted relevant configuration information here:

http://adam.rosi-kessel.org/bugs/hda_bootup_problem

The syslog there is an example where the only drive has originally
recognized as hda, but later in the boot up sequence it became hde, and thus
I needed to ln -s /dev/hde2 /dev/hda2 from the ramdisk init shell in order
to complete booting.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Adam