Re: spamcop

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:00:24 +0200, "Daniele P." <debian@tovel.it>
wrote:

>I want only to remark that debian mailing lists are source of spam.
>Additionally I'm not happy with my current solution (whitelist), but
>right now I don't have a plan to add and additional specific filter
>configuration.  I hope that somebody could solve this problem at the
>source (debian server).

I stop 99.5% of all spam hitting my servers.  My three step defense,
described in a previous post, begins by requiring valid forward and
reverse DNS, which comprise a matching pair.  It's the foundation on
which everything else depends.

The improper DNS false positive rate is low, less than 2%.  Admins
must accept some collateral damage, if they expect to win the war.

There is resistance to this idea, because some admins fear losing any
legit mail.  But given that the false positive rate is low, it should
be feasible to develop and maintain a whitelist of legitimate mail
servers lacking proper DNS.  I'm not volunteering, but it's an idea
that has merit.

The list may also urge offending admins to set up proper DNS, like
when newspapers publish a shame list of people who have not paid their
property tax.