Two Thinkpad Problems: USB and azx_get_response timeout

Hi,

I'm trying to get my Thinkpad up and running. For the most part it's
going really well. Two things have come up that I don't know what to do
about.

First, how do I get my USB drives sorted out?
The past three or four installs I just added the following to my fstab:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/jumpdrive  vfat  noauto, users, exec, umask=000 0 0

I don't entirely understand it, but it's always worked before. Now if I
try 'mount /mnt/jumpdrive' I get:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage
or other error

I have noticed though, that since I've got SATA drives the main
partitions on my harddrive are referred to as sda[1-9] instead of
hda[1-9]. What to do?

The other thing is the system is very slow to boot. The last time
through I spent a minute or more watching

azx_get_response timeout

scroll by. I have no idea what that is. If anyone could point me in the
right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tyler