Re: dictionary packages for Gnome desktop

Ralph Katz wrote:
On 09/20/2006, Mike McCarty wrote:

Ralph Katz wrote:

On 09/20/2006, Timothy Musson wrote:

The GNOME dictionary's really nice, but it's sometimes handy to
have a quick dictionary on the command line, too.

If you're only checking spelling, the "look" command is fast:

$ look string

Just off the top of my head...

$ look teasingly
$ look barnacle
$ look twiddle

Fast, but useless.

Mike, no.... use the first few letters for faster and more useful results:

$ look barnac
barnacle
barnacle's
barnacles
$ look twid
twiddle
twiddled
twiddles
twiddling

$ look barnac
$ look twid

I think it greps & sorts your word list.  $ man look   for more.  It's
just another tool in the linux tool box, not a cure all.

I know about man, and used it before trying look.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.