Re: spamcop

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:33:05 -0500, "Seth Goodman"
<sethg@GoodmanAssociates.com> wrote:

>Did anyone investigate the problem and make this request?

If they're not self motivated, I have no incentive to use them.

>Any DNSBL is subject to gaming by spammers who would like to curtail
>the use of DNSBL's in general and spamtraps in particular.

No, not any.  Just spamtrap based lists poorly administered.

>I don't think that responding as the spammers would like is in
>our interest.

Spamcop didn't provide much help.  They were last on my list of dnsbls
to check, so they caught very little spam.  I won't miss spamcop.

My three step defense works fine without spamcop:

 1) require matching DNS, forward and reverse

 2) use regex tests for dynamic/dialup host names (works because #1
strictly enforced, and thus hostname is known)

3a) query dynablock.njabl.org for any dynamic hosts missed by my local
checks in step 2

3b) query a few GOOD, RELIABLE dnsbls:

    dnsbl.njabl.org
    list.dsbl.org
    sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

With this defense, very little spam succeeds.  All I get now are the
occasional stray spams sent by users of legitimate ISPs.  The only way
to stop that is content filtering, and since the volume is negligible,
I don't bother.