RE: spamcop

On Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:22 AM -0500, John Kelly wrote:

> For the second time in the past few days, spamcop has listed
> murphy.debian.org.  That's it.  I'm done with spamcop!

The listing is at
http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=70.103.162.31 (expires
in nine hours).  It appears the machine sent mail to a spamtrap.  It has
been listed five times in the last six months.  I think that's worth
looking into.  If it did indeed send mail to a spamtrap, the listing is
justified, even if it's rather inconvenient.

If that machine has become a target for spammers who would like to make
spamtraps useless (for example, taking any action that would send an
automated confirmation message from a high-volume server to a spamtrap
address), the answer is not to abandon SpamCop.  Any DNSBL that uses
spamtraps is susceptible to this ploy.  I'm willing to look into a
solution if nobody else is interested.

--
Seth Goodman