Re: dictionary packages for Gnome desktop

Timothy Musson <trmusson@ihug.co.nz> writes:
> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> And is there a "local" dictionary which can be installed on a machine
>> which does not have Internet access?
>
> Yes. Install 'dictd' and 'dict-gcide'. Then, in the GNOME dictionary's
> preferences dialog, set the Server to 'localhost'.
>
> For a list of available dictionaries, try:
>
>   $ apt-cache search --names-only dict-
>
> I also like to add the following line to /etc/default/dictd:
>
>   DICTD_ARGS="$DICTD_ARGS --listen-to=127.0.0.1"
>
> Hope that helps,

Many thanks, Tim.  This is precisely what I've been needing -- to cut
the Internet umbilical for the dictionary.

Two or three years ago I tried to do this, but I didn't understand that
both a server and a client are needed, and I didn't get things to work
back then.  But now everything is working nicely, and it took only a few
minutes.

By the way, I recently discovered the synaptic package manager, and now
I hardly ever use apt or apt-get directly.

RLH