Re: Compiling CPU-optimized packages

Arthur Marsh wrote:

Adam Porter wrote, On 2006-09-18 19:12:

So, is there any way to set compiler flags in the Debian package building
process other than using apt-build or editing debian/rules?

look at the package:

pentium-builder

"Replaces gcc, cc, and g++ with scripts that build pentium optimized code. (Other processors can be optimised for as well.)

Also, when I first researched apt-build, I thought that, by the build output, it didn't really optimize packages. However, the author of the package referred me to an excerpt of /usr/share/doc/apt-build/README.Debian where it says that apt-build does in fact optimize. The excerpt says:

Q: gcc and g++ do not seem to be called with good options!

A: *** They are called with them! ***
What you see on your screen is the command called by make, but
the wrapper wraps (yeah, it does) calls to gcc/g++ and adds options you
specified in the apt-build configuration file.
You won't see this on your screen.
Try `ps ax | grep gcc' instead as a proof, while building.

I would say that as long as apt-build is configured properly (use 'dpkg-reconfigure apt-build'), apt-build does optimize. I do agree with OP, though that there seem to be some problems with apt-build's functionality. Cheers.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque