Re: crt card advice needed

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:03:12 +1000, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

I want to be able to run X with debian. Older monitor died and had an ati card with it that does work the new monitor. The new monitor is an Gateway ev910 crt which was also known as a sony trinitron with single gun so is very cool in temperature when it runs. The ati card will not work in X and wouldn't with the monitor it was originally running. So what kind of monitor card is likely to cause no problems when it gets put into this Dell and runs the ev910 monitor? Earlier I was given a g-force64 monitor card that prevented the Dell from getting to post test and an engineer I know thinks Dell voltage is too low for that card. This is a vintage 1999 dell desktop.

Any NVidia card (Though, I admit, I've only had experience with AGP ones)

Personally, I'd find and get the cheapest one you can find :) (So long as
it is NVidia).

However, before you spend money, try using a different driver. ATI cards
are _PICKY_, sometimes you must use the free version, and sometimes you
must use the commercial drivers from the ATI website.  If neither works,
get the NVidia.