Re: Can't boot stable/sarge on new Intel D102GGC2L mainboard while USB is enabled

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:31:10PM -0500, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> For the archives:
>
> The local company I've been purchasing workstations from has recently begun
> using a newer model of mainboard, the Intel D102GGC2L mainboard. As best I
> can tell these are pretty new. They use the LGA775 chipset ,RC410 Northbridge
> and IXP 450 Southbridge - I don't know if these chipsets has been around for
> a while or not.
>
> Anyway, stable/sarge will not boot on these new mainboards, though SuSE 10.1
> is booting just fine on them.
>
> The sarge NetInstall boots and installs to the disk just fine, then when I try
> to boot the installed system, Sarge starts to boot and then, shortly after
> setting the RTC and mounting the filesystem prints the following errors to
> the console:
>
> Starting hotplug subsystem:
>     pci
>         8139too: already loaded
>
> 8139cp 10/100 PCI Ethernet driver v1.2 (Mar 22, 2004)
> insmod: /libmodules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel/drivers/net/8139cp.o: init_module: No
> such device
> insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect modules parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>                You may find more information in syslog or the output from
> dmesg
> insmod: /libmodules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel/drivers/net/8139cp.o: insmod 8139cp
> failed
>          8139cp: can't be loaded
> missing kernel or user mode driver 8139cp
> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
> usb.c: registered new driver hub
> ehci_hcd 00:13.2: PCI device 1002:4373 (ATI Technologies Inc)
> ehci_hcd 00:13.2: irq 11, pci mem f8873000
> usb.c new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
> ehci_hcd 00:13.2: BIOS handoff failed (160, 1010001)
>

> After that, the system stops booting (though it's not completely frozen,
> because I can still Ctrl+Alt+Del).
>
> If it matters, I'm using an IDE drive, not a SerialATA.
>
> I discovered that if I completely disable USB in the BIOS ("USB: Disable",
> "USB 2.0: Disable", "USB Legacy: Disable") that the system will boot ok.
>
> I also disabled the floppy controller, though I don't know if that helped or
> not.
>
> Just thought I'd post this info to the archives in case anyone else runs into
> this problem and goes a-searching.
>
> sarge (and therefore my system) uses kernel 2.4 by default, it's quite likely
> that recent versions of kernel 2.6 will be ok (I guess that's why SuSE 10.1
> is ok).
>
> Thanks,

Hi JW,
you should try to update to the latest version of sarge. If the NIC is
causing a problem, one solution is to replace it with a different one
and then to re-enable usb. And you may need to 'blacklist' some device
during the detection phase. And you should not need to disable the
floppy. You may also want to use backports.org for a 2.6 kernel to
hopefully solve this, if its a kernel issue.
cheers,
Kev