Re: mounting a dvdrw

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:14:18 -0700 (PDT)
"Fred J." <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:

> does the following change the situation

>  fred@debian:~$ growisofs -Z /dev/hdd -R -J myPc
>  Executing 'mkisofs -R -J myPc | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdd obs=32k seek=0'
>  INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
>          Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
>          use -input-charset to override.

OK, so you're burning an image or something to a blank dvdrw.
>  fred@debian:~$ ls /dev/hdd
>  /dev/hdd
>  fred@debian:~$
>
>  where is the file?

There isn't one. Not really. In a sense, the 'file' is whatever you
burnt prior to mounting it, which could be an iso image, a copy of a
movie, a bunch of data files, what have you.

In order to see the files, you need to mount the device, either
manually or as a configurable option if you use a graphical window
manager such as KDE/Gnome.

Once mounted, you can cd into the mount point (typcically /media/cdrom1
or /media/cdrom0) and look for the files.

Oh, and btw, don't top post and don't forget to trim your replies. I'm
not complaining specifically about this post but the last few posts
have consisted of 1 line responses followed by the entire quoted text
of the prior reply.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.