Re: alternative for rdiff-backup

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:34:30PM -0700, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
> [This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
> In article <6UPM6-3ah-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, Kevin Mark wrote:
> >
> > --ABTtc+pdwF7KHXCz
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:49:57PM +0100, Michael Ott wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>=20
> >> rdiff-backup crashed every second use.
> > Hi Michael,
> > it seems a wiser thing to do to try to help the maintainer of
> > rdiff-backup as both of you have an interest in seeing it work, that is
>
> For what it's worth, I've been using rdiff-backup for
> a couple of years now.  Every night my sarge system backs
> itself up to my colocation company's file server.
> Now and then one of my users deletes something by
> mistake and I bring it back for them like magic.
> What a great program.
>
> We did not use the rdiff-backup package from Debian
> because it's too old.  Rdiff-backup wants to be
> the same version at both ends, and he installed from
> the upstream so I had to.  But it's running over Debian's
> rsync and ssh.
Hi Cameron,
that is unfortunate. I guess a 'wishlist' bug to get it updated may be
in order, or (if its not too far gone) an NMU of the latest? because if
its that out-of-date, its not really 'serving our users' as the Debian
mandate goes :-( and should not be in Etch. Unless someone has the
desire to possibly do a 'friendly' takeover if the maintainer is MIA.
cheers,
Kev