trouble with an old Packard Bell monitor and an ATI mach64 card

Hi, I'm trying to install Sarge as a lightweight X desktop (fluxbox an
a few programs) on a HP pavilion 6355. It has an ATI mach64 video card
with 2 MB ram, connected to an old 13 or 14 inch (I'm not sure) Packard
Bell monitor of some sort: the sticker on the back says it's a "PB 8539
VG".

I've tried all kinds of configurations for XFree86, but even if I ry
the VGA driver at 640x480, 8-bit color, and the slowest refresh rate, I
get the "interlaced-double-vision" effect. When I run xf86cfg, the
display works but it doesn't recognize the mouse (a regular PS/2
mouse). Any ideas on how to get this to work? Thanks, Alex