Re: is it possible to create a black box with debian?

On 09/11/06 11:55, enediel gonzalez wrote:

> On 09/11/06 09:52, enediel gonzalez wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I looking for information how to create a black box with debian to be
>> able to put a system on untrusted locations.
>>
>> This system contains a web site as the only interface for the local
>> users, and ssh as the only way for the remote administration.
>>
>> Locally, the server could be turned off, and restarted, consider the
>> case that it's necessary to change the ups, etc.
>>
>> I need to protect the server against the case that somebody makes a disk
>> image, and later on can investigate what it's contained on it.
>>
>> I found information about filesystems encryption, but in this scenario
>> somebody locally should have access in some way to key, I wanted to
>> avoid that, so the server could restart having somewhere encrypted all
>> the necessary information to start.
>>
>> For local users is should be a real black box.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help, suggestion,. etc.
>
>> Is kiosk-mode (which is handled by the WM/DE) what you are looking
>> for?  That plus appropriate case design (BIOS password, no access to
>> USB ports, strong case lock, disabled Ctrl-Alt-Del, no CD/DVD drive,
>> etc) and a no-module kernel should get you most of the way to where
>> you want to be.
>> Ron Johnson, Jr.
>> Jefferson LA  USA
> - --
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> I was looking for more information about your option, but it looks like
> something to be used over the graphic interface.
>
> If I'm wrong please correct me this detail.

Yes, kiosk mode is handled by the Window Manager or the Desktop
Environment.

> In my case, I don't need any graphic interface on the black box, the
> users can run any operating system on their desktop.

In that case, the hardware issues that I mentioned (BIOS password,
no access to USB ports, strong case lock, disabled Ctrl-Alt-Del, no
CD/DVD drive, etc) will still serve you.

Note, though that this is a *Debian* (therefore *Linux) list, so we
can't/won't tell you how to secure MSFT Windows...

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?