Re: Wake up from standby

Andras Lorincz wrote:
Hello,
I'm using debian etch with kernel 2.6.16.28 <http://2.6.16.28> on a desktop computer. After issuing the command "echo -n "standby" > /sys/power/states" the computer goes to standby as expected. When I press any key on the keyboard or move the mouse the system doesn't react. If I press the power button then the system wakes up but immediately proceeds to shutting down because I configured acpi to shutdown if I press the power button. I see here 2 solutions: 1. Catch the event for pressing a key or moving the mouse. I don't know which are these events and even if I knew, what should be executed in the corresponding scripts. 2. Modify the script which reacts to the power button and verify what was the state of the system when the button was pressed and if the previous state was standby then don't shut down but wake up. This raises the question as for solution one: what event to handle and what to do? I'd appreciate if you give me some hints or some useful links.

which brings up a question: what's the difference between suspend, standby and hibernate.

and: is there anybody with a desktop box who successfully does any of the three?

last time I tried hibernate I got kernel oopses (2.6.17-ck1 + sid)