Re: saving digital photographs

On 2006-09-10 @ 17:02:48 (week 36) Russell L. Harris wrote:

> While I did mention the oxide, the remarks which you cite had to do
> primarily with obsolescence of the technology.  I have 8-inch floppies
> (SSSD and DSDD) with data which I would like to retrieve, but unless I
> find someone who still is running an old DEC LSI-11 or PDP-11 system,
> the data is inaccessible.

I only tried to point out that those "old" media were still good, where
I wouldn't even dare to think the same of modern optical media after
even a small part of that timespan. You do have a point about the
problem of technology being no longer available to the average person
though. It's easy to forget about that when you're used to an
environment where that isn't an issue (until recently I worked at a
university).

Grx HdV