Re: /dev/hda cannot be found after upgrading my debian

Hi,

On 9/10/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 16:42:12 -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have upgraded my debian packages using ' apt-get dist-upgrade', but
> afterwards the system cannot boot properly since it looks that
> /dev/hda6 (my /home partition) is not found.
>
> The error message starts like:
>
> *********************
> fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it realy contains an etx2 file
> system (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is
> corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock: e2fsck-b 8193
>
> *********************
>
> It aslo provided a way to "Give root password for maintenance", but
> under /dev there is no hda created.
>
> How can I solve this problem?

If you can boot into single user mode (the "Give root password for
maintenance" thing) then at least your root partition is still found.
Your problem might be due to a known bug in the sysv-rc package
(versions 2.86.ds1-16 and 2.86.ds1-17). This bug prevents services from
being started at boot if their packages were upgraded while one of the
two buggy versions of sysv-rc was installed. I think your problem might
be related to udevd not being started properly.

Right, I believe that it is something related to udev, because a
message like "udevsynthesize command not found" is printed and
afterward the message  "waiting for /dev to be fully populated" is
printed and the system delays the booting here for some seconds.

Try if you can run "dpkg -l sysv-rc" and post the output. If you find a
defect version of sysv-rc then we know what your problem is and can tell
you how to fix it. (You have to upgrade to a newer version of sysv-rc
and re-create a few symlinks in /etc/rc?.d by running a special command.)

Well, an error message is displayed when I execute a command related
to debian package management (for instance apt-get and dpkg).

So following your suggestion the following message is:

dpkg-query: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line
4308 package 'wml': 'Suggests' field, invalid package name
'imagemagéck' character 'é' not allowed (only letters. digits and
characters '-+._)

I checked the /var/lib/dpkg/available and there are many occurrences
of 'imagemagéck' in the file. It is weird, because AFAIK "imagemagick"
should be the correct name.

The repository I use is "ftp.debian.org testing main contrib non-free".

BR,

Mauricio Lin