Re: /dev/hda cannot be found after upgrading my debian

On 9/10/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

On 09/10/06 15:42, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have upgraded my debian packages using ' apt-get dist-upgrade', but
> afterwards the system cannot boot properly since it looks that
> /dev/hda6 (my /home partition) is not found.
>
> The error message starts like:
>
> *********************
> fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it realy contains an etx2 file
> system (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is
> corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock: e2fsck-b 8193
>
> *********************
>
> It aslo provided a way to "Give root password for maintenance", but
> under /dev there is no hda created.
>
> How can I solve this problem?

Does the system boot at all?

Well, it can start the services, but after starting the gdm, the
system gets frozen and no graphical interface is presented.

Can it find /dev/hda or is only /dev/hda6 missing?

It can mount the /dev/hda5 (mount point is / directory), because when
I enter to "Give root password for maintenance", I can see that
/dev/hda5 is mounted using the "mount" command, but under /dev there
is no hda.

What did you upgrade *from*?

From ftp.debian.org using testing version.

BR,