Re: /dev/hda cannot be found after upgrading my debian

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 01:29:26 -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/10/06, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 16:42:12 -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have upgraded my debian packages using ' apt-get dist-upgrade', but
> >> afterwards the system cannot boot properly since it looks that
> >> /dev/hda6 (my /home partition) is not found.
> >>
> >> The error message starts like:
> >>
> >> *********************
> >> fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda6
> >>
> >> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> >> filesystem. If the device is valid and it realy contains an etx2 file
> >> system (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is
> >> corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> >> superblock: e2fsck-b 8193
> >>
> >> *********************
> >>
> >> It aslo provided a way to "Give root password for maintenance", but
> >> under /dev there is no hda created.
> >>
> >> How can I solve this problem?
> >
> >If you can boot into single user mode (the "Give root password for
> >maintenance" thing) then at least your root partition is still found.
> >Your problem might be due to a known bug in the sysv-rc package
> >(versions 2.86.ds1-16 and 2.86.ds1-17). This bug prevents services from
> >being started at boot if their packages were upgraded while one of the
> >two buggy versions of sysv-rc was installed. I think your problem might
> >be related to udevd not being started properly.
> >

> Right, I believe that it is something related to udev, because a
> message like "udevsynthesize command not found" is printed and
> afterward the message  "waiting for /dev to be fully populated" is
> printed and the system delays the booting here for some seconds.

udevsynthesize is a depreciated command if I am not mistaken. (I know
that it does not exist anymore in Sid, but I am not sure about Etch.)
You might simply have an old script somewhere which tries to use it.
I am pretty sure that that alone should not screw up the devices.

> >Try if you can run "dpkg -l sysv-rc" and post the output. If you find a
> >defect version of sysv-rc then we know what your problem is and can tell
> >you how to fix it. (You have to upgrade to a newer version of sysv-rc
> >and re-create a few symlinks in /etc/rc?.d by running a special command.)
>
> Well, an error message is displayed when I execute a command related
> to debian package management (for instance apt-get and dpkg).
>
> So following your suggestion the following message is:
>
> dpkg-query: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line
> 4308 package 'wml': 'Suggests' field, invalid package name
> 'imagemagéck' character 'é' not allowed (only letters. digits and
> characters '-+._)
>
> I checked the /var/lib/dpkg/available and there are many occurrences
> of 'imagemagéck' in the file. It is weird, because AFAIK "imagemagick"
> should be the correct name.

That looks like the dpkg database has been screwed up in some way.
Therefore I am starting to doubt that my initial suspicion about your
problem is correct. You might for example have had a hard disk failure.

> The repository I use is "ftp.debian.org testing main contrib non-free".

That should be okay.

--
Regards,
          Florian