Re: /dev/hda cannot be found after upgrading my debian

On 09/10/06 23:48, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> On 9/10/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 09/10/06 15:42, Mauricio Lin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> I have upgraded my debian packages using ' apt-get dist-upgrade', but
>> afterwards the system cannot boot properly since it looks that
>> /dev/hda6 (my /home partition) is not found.
>
>> The error message starts like:
>
>> *********************
>> fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
>> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
>> filesystem. If the device is valid and it realy contains an etx2 file
>> system (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock is
>> corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
>> superblock: e2fsck-b 8193
>
>> *********************
>
>> It aslo provided a way to "Give root password for maintenance", but
>> under /dev there is no hda created.
>
>> How can I solve this problem?
>
> Does the system boot at all?
>
>> Well, it can start the services, but after starting the gdm, the
>> system gets frozen and no graphical interface is presented.
>

> Can it find /dev/hda or is only /dev/hda6 missing?
>
>> It can mount the /dev/hda5 (mount point is / directory), because when
>> I enter to "Give root password for maintenance", I can see that
>> /dev/hda5 is mounted using the "mount" command, but under /dev there
>> is no hda.

- From within single-user mode remove gdm, so that the system boots
into console mode.  Log in as *root* and run df.  If /home is there,
log out and then log in as your non-priv account.

(To start X from that state, type the command "startx".  After you
log in, of course.)

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA