Re: root and user passwords suddenly not recognized -SOLVED

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2006, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
>> I started up my laptop just now (running Debian unstable) and could not
>> log in either as root or user.
> I suddenly remembered the same thing happened a year or more ago. During
> an upgrade the console keyboard got changed (UK to US I suppose) so the
> keys were not producing what I thought they were. Once I figured out
> which keys produced which symbols I could log in again.

An interesting point in choice of passwords which I do not recall having
ever seen mentioned anywhere else.

Proposed:-
"
Choosing a good password
Pick one of sufficient length, try to include capitals as well as lower
case letters, numerals and punctuation.  beware however of using
punctuation symbols found on keys which change meaning between different
keyboard layouts (eg US or Macintosh vs GB) as this may cause problems
if one is logging in from elsewhere or if the keymappings are changed by
an update."

--
Adrian Midgley