root and user passwords suddenly not recognized

I started up my laptop just now (running Debian unstable) and could not
log in either as root or user. I have a separate installation of Debian
on a different partition and I can accaess this normally, so I can mount
the affected partition for repairs, but two questions:

1. which files should I edit to make things work? (/etc/shadow?)

2. Why has this happened?

My immediate thought was that the system has been compromised but it was
switched off for the last 36 hours (no one else has physical access). My
desktop (which is on the same network) appears normal and chkrootkit
shows nothing wrong.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian