Re: saving digital photographs

On Sunday 10 September 2006 09:43, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> writes:
> > On Sunday 10 September 2006 03:05, H.S. wrote:
> >> I have around 4.5GB of photos from the past few years on my hard disk. I
> >> have all of these as albums in digikam. I am thinking of saving these on
> >> to a DVD and freeing up the space from my hard disk. I was wondering if
> >> anyone has any suggestions on how best to do this.
>
> Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish!  Hard drives never have been more
> affordable.  If you are pressed for disc space, save yourself much time
> and potential grief by simply purchasing a new drive, either as a
> replacement or else as a second drive.

I couldn't agree more - in fact, I have just been buying new hard drives and
putting them into a raid array to have the majority of my archive on-line.
Hard drive space is so cheap these days that you can even afford to duplicate
it!.

I have also bought a very cheap alumunium case which turns an old IDE drive
into a usb or firewire harddrive, so that if I am forced to archive stuff
offline, I will do so in the old hard drives that I have left. (Keeping them
in the shipping boxes of the new drives is also the plan).

[PS I am subscribed to the list, and since your reply was to the poster I was
replying to, there is no need to copy me in addition]

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk