Re: debian unstable, stable enough?

On Saturday 09 September 2006 16:35, Ron Johnson wrote:
> PD Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler wrote:
> >>
> >> I run Unstable on my workstation and have not had breakage for years.
> >> However, I do not blindly upgrade every day.  I follow debian-devel,
> >> selectively upgrade individual packages, and occasionally do a general
> >> upgrade when everything seems ok.
> >>
> >> I also use neither Gnome nor KDE.
> >> --
> >> John Hasler
> >
> > Well, ok.  Do you print, do you burn CDs, do you transfer photos from
> > your camera?  If you do, and on top of that in KDE (gasp!), you will have
> > had breakage in the last six months on several occasions.
>
> Windows users get bots, worms and viruses and regularly have to
> reinstall, Debian Unstable (desktop) users get occasional *partial*
> breakage that is (usually) quickly resolved.  And never have to
> descend into RPM Hell.
>
> On the whole, I'll stick with Sid.

Yeah, right.  Windows users have to regularly reinstall.  Whatever, it doesn't
interest me in this context.  I also never said not to use debian unstable,
in fact I gave some suggestions of how I deal with the breakage that I have
observed.

I don't think the unstable/testing system is bad either, in fact I sometimes
feel a bit guilty about never having submitted a bug report myself.  But I'm
realtively new to Linux and Debian and often can't tell which package is the
problem.  However, I can just say from my own experiences that if you want to
run the latest software, and you *need* your computer to work, you should be
prepared to deal with occasional breakage.

Chris