OpenOffice.org: interface font; javaldx: no JRE?

Hey ho,

My default installation of OOo on Debian sid works fine,
except for the fact that its UI font is ugly and way too
large. Its size at least can be adapted (Tools -> Options
-> OOo -> View -> Scaling), but there's no way I can have
it use a different font face. It surely does not use the
system font, even though that option is checked (also in
the View section).

Both README.gz and README.Debian.gz suggest using font
replacement (Tools -> Options -> OOo -> Fonts), but that
doesn't change a thing. There's nothing else in the program
options that seems related; same goes for ~/.openoffice.org2.

Installing the package openoffice.org-gtk doesn't change
anything either. There is a bug report since a couple
of months (376878), but it hasn't been reacted to. Is it
just me and the lone bug reporters problem, or do other
people here experience the same thing? Is there any way
to work around it?

Another problem (just something that bothers me in a more
trivial way) is the warning message I get when starting
the program: "javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime
Environment". I have installed the non-free sun-java5-*
packages all right, so I wondered why this javaldx thingy
can't find my JRE. When I strace it (silly as it may seem),
there's plenty of references to the JRE's correct location
(access("/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.08/jre/bin/java",
F_OK) = 0). Does anybody know the meaning of the warning?

Cheers,
Tom
,
so I just don't get the meaning of the warning...