Re: Debian Newbie looking for Usefull Tools

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:19:12PM -0700, Phillipus Gunawan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Im a newbie at debian, just installing debian 31r0a from a DVD. I got an ADSL connection with a crappy modem. Anyhow, I want to make a box that can do:
>
> - Generating traffic usage (download/upload)
Not sure.

> - List the program / port / destination used in daily/weekly/monthly basis (just in case that 1 of my mates use kazaa or something that we decided to blocked)
> - Firewall (I was looking at ://www.turtlefirewall.com)
Use shorewall.  Extremely well documented, active IRC channel and active
mailing list.  Probably the most powerful and easy to use firewall
package for iptables.

> - Printing usage: the ip address/computer name, no of pages, time (we also share a samsung USB  printer)

I think that CUPS can do that.

> I heard that Webmin (www.webmin.com) is a tool that combine a few debian pacakages so easier to manage them. Any suggestion?
If you really want to use webmin, use the upstream version (see my other
messages on the topic), but it is much better to actually learn the
system's interface and where everything is located via the command line.

> Thank you in advance for any reply,
>
> Phillipus

Regards,

-Roberto