From: Stephen Yorke [mailto:syorke@yorkes.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:28 AM
To: Debian User
Subject: Debian LIVE CD

Hello all...

I am new to this group (just signed up today) but I am have two problems:
1. Creating a LIVE CD with Debian Testing
2. PXE/TFTP Boot server within a M$ DHCP Environment

I come from a M$ background (hey, had to get my start somewhere and it is
paying the bills) but frequent the *NIX environments but I am by no means as
comfortable with Debian as I am M$.  Unlike a lot of M$ and/or *NIX folks I
do swing both ways and know there is a time and place for each NOS.
Although each can act on their own without any problems as well.

So...with that said here is my dilemma.  I was tasked with creating a Live
CD for a company.  The requirements are here:

1. LIVECD (totally new for me but I love to learn)
2. No interaction with the Hard Disk (memory driven like Knoppix/Morphix)
Possibly diskless systems.
3. Auto-Login
4. Only TSClient or Rdesktop (which will auto launch on boot)
5. Custom Desktop images and layout
6. Ability to boot from a PXE enabled TFTP server

So what do I do...I HATE RED HAT LINUX and will not EVER use it again.  Not
since the licensing/pay-per came into play.  If I was to do only console
work I would do FreeBSD but I need GUI and lightweight with access to a good
repository.  Also, down the road there may be more architectures
involved...in walks, no, CRASHES, DEBIAN...I chose Debian for several
reasons but the main reasons are: many supported architectures, 10,000+
packages, ease of package management and IT IS NOT 'PAY HAT'.

Ok...let's start with the Debian build first.

:: Debian LIVECD ::
I have everything configured and it looks great...I have a base Debian
install, X, Fluxbox (custom menus, background, styles, etc), gdm, tsclient,
ETC...

First, I tried iBuild but when I try to build the system I keep getting
errors that files already exist...it is the 'proc' dir where the files
already exist and I can not delete this folder (How do I remove this
folder?).  Ok...give up on iBuild.

Second, I have been playing with the Morphix Tools...it builds an image but
when I look at the ISO that I build it is empty.  The size is about 130MB
but when you try to boot from it nothing happens and when I try to extract
it OR try to look in it using WinRAR nothing is there.

Does anyone know of a 'PROPER' guide that they can point me to for building
LIVECD's?  I do not even mind building it fully manually.  I love learing
new things and I think this would be a VERY valuble lesson to learn.  I
would even write up a step by step doc on how to do it if I had the info on
how to do it properly.  Like I said, I am new to the LIVE scene but am
liking it ALOT and have been to quite a few sites including the Debian LIVE
site.

Now the PXE/TFTP Boot stuff...

:: PXE/TFTP Boot ::
I currently have a M$ DHCP server.  Options 66 & 67 are set.
I have a Debian basic build with SYSLINUX and TFTP-HPA installed
Configured the TFTPBOOT stuff.
I can NetBOOT and get to the Boot: prompt but I can not type anything at the
prompt nor does it seem to pick up the initrd.gz nor the linux files which
are in the main TFTPBOOT folder, the only thing I can get to happen is
create a 'default' file in the pxelinux.cfg folder and one level up a
default.txt file which is the menu to show up.  It also seems like the
TIMEOUT option in the default file is not working.  It just waits about 5
minutes all the time and then reboots the box.  I have the default option as
LOCALBOOT but sometimes it doesn't even do that...it just fails.  I have
downloaded the netboot.tar.gz (I think) from the Debian website and
everything that is there is pretty much everything I have on my system.
Also, I can not get the F* keys to work within my default file.

Two questions I guess...Is there a problem with syslinux running on Debian?
Should I be using PXELinux instead of syslinux?

Any help on these topics would be great.  Suggestions are fine...I can
Google just a well as the next person.

I would like to have this completed by this weekend but I think that time is
coming too fast to get it done.  The big thing is the LIVECD...if I can at
least get this working I can install a PXE server on my M$ DHCP Server and
get this working easy enough, I just wanted to be able to document both a
Debian only install as well as an integrated solution.  Once I get all of
this done I will have no problem posting a link to my work so others can
comment and/or try it out.

Sorry for the long winded message and Thanks in advance to all,
Stephen Yorke