Re: Horrible mouse problems under Sid with 2.6.17, latest xorg

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 03:31:18PM -0400, David Bruce wrote:
> For some time I have had problems with the mouse becoming erratic
> (losing synch?) and generating a flurry of click events, generally
> opening a bunch of Konq windows and inserting random cuts/pastes and
> other click events into whatever I happen to be working on (most
> commonly coding with KDevelop).  I cannot reliably reproduce the
> behavior - usually starts a few minutes into session and seems to
> perhaps occur mainly when I have the mouse over the bottom of the
> screen at the Kicker bar.  Usually, but not always, the mouse becomes
> unresponsive after the unwanted activity subsides.  Restarting X with
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspc does not restore normal mouse behavior.
>
> My system - home built Athlon 2400 PC, Mitsumi scroll mouse.
> 	  - Linux 2.6.17 source from debian, built by me with make-kpkg
> 	  - no power management enabled in kernel config.
> 	  - kernel config mouse support for PS/2
> 	  - ImPS/2 selected in xorg.conf; scroll enabled
>
> My wife is begging me to "get rid of that @#$% Debian thing" and go
> back to Windows.
>
> Any ideas?

I've had the same on and off, similar system, USB mouse.  My xorg.conf
file has this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
#       Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"

I changed xorg's idea of a mouse to the ImPS/2 protocol and double
checked gpm, which for me runs with
	/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t autops2 -r 40
Don't know if this will help you or not...

Did you check for bug reports?

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,