Size difference between file systems

Hi

I have been moving some data from a Reiserfs partition to a XFS volume
on LVM, during this process I discovered that 8.9GB of data on the
reiser partition turns into 12Gb of data on the XFS volume (I got
those numbers using "df -h"). The XFS volume was created during the
Debian Etch installation and the reiserfs volume by and earlier redhat
install on the same box.

Initially I suspected that "df" was just out of sync so I did a "du"
and got the same numbers back. This is not really a problem for me but
I just wonder why XFS/LVM needs so much more space ?. I know LVM has a
minor overhead but I have never heard of 3GB difference on 8.9 gb data

--
Lars