Re: (OT) Prejudice against sendmail?

On Saturday 02 September 2006 02:29, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 00:36 +0200, T wrote:
> > My suggestion, speaking from my heart breaking experiences, is that if
> > you are a normal user, not a mail expert or system admin who need to play
> > with mail configuration as you full time job, stick with sendmail, and
> > keep away with postfix, exim, etc.
>
> I don't understand your logic.  An full time mail admin would easily get
> his head around any MTA, and might opt for sendmail because of it's
> configurability.  But an ordinary user who don't know much about how
> mail works?

Even then, why should a full time admin waste days learning sendmail.cf when
exim and postfix are practically plug and play by comparison, and takes only
minutes to learn?  I know I can't answer that, and I've deployed mail servers
professionally before.  Half an hour dinking with exim versus two days and
hoping it's right with sendmail...not a hard choice.

I'm sure some sites have a need for the extra configurability of sendmail,
though I would estimate the vast majority of sendmail sites aren't doing
anything that couldn't be done easier and with less guesswork with an MTA
that isn't rococo¹.

¹ http://ursine.ca/rococo

--
Paul Johnson