Re: editor to remove noise (wind and wave) from sound file

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 18:01:14 -0700
Ric Otte <ric@otte.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a recording of a wedding at a beach, but it is very difficult
> to make out the words because of the noise due to the waves and wind.
> I am looking for suggestions about how to begin editing the file to
> remove the noise and retain the voices.  I've looked a bit at rezound
> and audacity, but haven't been able to remove the noise with them.  I
> have never edited a sound file before, and was wondering if anyone had
> any suggestions for other programs that might do the job, or any other
> suggestions about how to do this.

I don't know audio programs too much, but audacity probably has a low pass
filter which is probably your best bet (or may a band pass or low + high pass,
wind and see tend to be high pitched compared to voice, but it's hard to say
without hearing a sample).