Re: (OT) Prejudice against sendmail?

also sprach Martin Möller <listen@andvari.de> [2006.09.01.1249 +0200]:
> Pros:
>   * very powerful
>   * very flexible
>   * biggest support and development community

How did you arrive at that latter point?

> Cons:
>   * attacked frequently
>     (either because of design weakness or because it's so commonly
>      used?)
>   * difficult to configure
>   * security holes

It's a monolithic setuid binary. It's flawed by design, IMHO. Points
1 and 3 above are just direct consequences of that.

Without trying to be religious or anything of that sort, I can
recommend postfix without restrictions to most anyone -- it has an
excellent security track record, a large support community, great
documentation, and it's really not that complex (even though it can
be, once you start doing more advanced stuff).

Other people will recommend and say the same about exim or the various
other MTAs. In the end, the choice is yours.

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

"i've got a bike,
 you can ride it if you like,
 it's got a basket. a bell that rings, and things to make it look good.
 i'd give it to you if i could,
 but i borrowed it."
                                                  -- syd barrett, 1967