Re: how to disable cursor help text in gnome?

"Mumia W." <mumia.w.18.spam+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:

> On 08/31/2006 06:31 AM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> On the Gnome desktop, whenever the cursor pauses for more than a
>> second ever a menu item or pushbutton, a small window containing
>> descriptive or help text opens near the cursor.  For example, when
>> the cursor is pointing at the "Desktop" menu item in the upper panel
>> of the screen, the text which appears is: "Change desktop appearance
>> and behaviour, get help, or log out."
>>
>> Is it possible to turn off this "neat-but-flawed" feature?  [...]
>
> Gnome configuration through the gnome-control-center is woefully
> incomplete.
>
> Use the gconf-editor and select "Edit/Find"; search for 'tooltip';
> many items will appear.
>
> The entry named "/apps/panel/global/tooltips_enabled" seems to be the
> ticket for you.

Thanks.  But while this entry allows me to disable tooltips for the top
and side panels, it does not appear to have an effect upon the window
list in the bottom panel -- the list which is causing problems for me.

I found another entry:

    /apps/panel/default_setup/applets/window_list/tooltip

but the only thing I can edit on it is the "value" field, and when I
right-click on the value field, the dialogue window is blank, so I have
no idea what value or string is expected.

RLH