Re: can't apt-get install

Le mercredi 30 août 2006 à 11:04 +0200, Michael Noisternig a écrit :
> Hello everyone,

Hello,

> hope anybody can help. Here is the problem...
>
> First day: Installed current Debian testing on Athlon XP via network.

Thanks for giving a try at the testing branch. Whatever feedback you can
give will be greatly appreciated by the Debian developpers.

> Took a long time as the ISP hat some problem, losing a lot of packets,
> as I would figure out later. Finally, when it rebooted, I got to the
> command line login prompt, leaving me wondering whether the dist came
> without a desktop environment by default. As I would later figure out,
> too, the debian installer simply left out packages it lost TCP
> connection on, without re-trying to get them or asking the user what to
> do! Who the f* is responsible for that design? Anyway...

Probably someone who spent days of their free time in providing the
debian-installer. Anyway...

You certainly want to send a bug report against debian-installer, at
least as a feature request. If the installer drops only packages that
are not necessary to reboot and fix the system later, it would only be a
feature request, though.

> Second day: ISP's problem was resolved. Tried to "apt-get install
> gnome". After having downloaded all new packages, apt-get simply hang at
> 99%. Forver. Without CPU load. Did apt-get clean/autoclean/update.
> Changed net source. No change. Reproducable.
>
> Decided to re-format and re-install. This time everything seemed fine,
> after reboot I immediately got into the gnome environment. Of course I
> immediately wanted to install some packages again. BUT! Again the same
> problem! Small packages worked fine, e.g. "apt-get install madplay". But
> I couldn't install any bigger packages like xmms or lyx. What is going
> on here? Anyone has a clue?

Looks to me like you've hit a bug in dpkg or apt-get. Again, it's very
helpful if you can report it.

Now as to getting around this problem (and investigating its cause, so
your bug report is more useful), I would try using aptitude instead of
apt-get (works the same way on the command line), if you can install
aptitude that is. I would also try downloading some of the packages
manually from packages.debian.org (they may be already in you cache,
somewhere near /var/cache/apt/something), and installing them using
dpkg. If any of these works, you know the problem is in apt-get.

Note that you can still use apt-get to resolve the dependencies for you
if you end up having to install packages manually (for as long as the
bug your're reporting is not fixed): simply do a dry apt-get run (see
the manpages) and install manually the packages that apt-get wants to
install.

You can also do a "ps | grep dpkg" when apt-get hangs to see whether or
not it's really dpkg that hangs.

> Thanks for your feedback!

And thanks for yours.

T.