ksh in konsole doesn't run .profile (up to date sarge)

This used to work in woody.  Doesn't in sarge, and yes I do start ksh
with the -l (login shell) option in the konsole configuration (Execute
field).

There is a similar bug filed in bugs.debian.org (almost 2 years old)

although this person claims that /etc/profile isn't read.

The closest I found in google is here:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=112533196407347&w=2

but there is no solution.  The author claims that the problem is caused
by using xdm, and that not using xdm removes the problem.  Well, I'm
using kdm and I still have the problem.  For every konsole window I have
to manually type ". ~/.profile" in order to run .profile with all the
settings it contains.  This gets old fast.

Does anyone have a solution? A workaround? I'd rather keep kdm, kde and
sarge as standard as possible so I don't have to make massive manual
changes after every upgrade.

A.