Re: Doubts regarding /initrd and /linuxrc

hi vivek

> Vivek Varghese Cherian  wrote:
>
> Can some one provide me with pointers to the funtion of the /initrd
> directory in Debian ?

/initrd as with all other distro is used by the initrd.img file during
its bootup ( loading of modules ) during the kernel boot process
	- in lilo/grub, if initrd=blah.img is not specified, than /initrd is not needed

> Can some one provide me with an explanation of the exact funtion of the
> /linuxrc executable in Debian ?

/linuxrc is required inside any blah.img ramdisk file to tell the boot kernel
what to do ...
	usually:  modprobe  e1000
	or more complicated things to load besides one module

> Can some one explain why the /usr/share/initrd-tools/linuxrc file does not
> have the executable flag set on my system ?

/usr/share/initrd-tools is like the man pages and reference only
and is never used

as you note /linuxrc should be root owned and executable

> Are /initrd and /linuxrc mutually exclusive ? (The presence of one causes
> the other not to be present)

no ... they are concurrcently required... if one initrd.img is used,
than both /initrd and /linuxrc is required
	note, that /linuxrc is inside initrd.img
	and that /linuxrc is NOT part of the normal system

more boot craziness
	Linux-Boot.net

c ya
alvin