strange gaim problem

Dear all,

Has anyone encountered something like this? When I type a text which contains some kind of pattern to another Yahoo! IM user on GAIM, the other party does not receive it. The pattern is some two or more letters followed by a dot and followed by two letters. For example, " aa.hd", "I'm sending you aaa.aa". But some are okay, e.g. "to.be".

*But*, if the other party has sent back a reply, e.g. "to.be with me?", then I can start successfully sent those previously "forbidden" patterns, e.g. "aa.aa" and be received.

I have tried changing GAIM version (from 1.5.1cvs back to 1.2.1), emptying ~/.gaim, removing all plugins, changing LANG environment variable, to no avail.

(i386, Linux 2.6.17-k7, Debian testing/unstable, KDE 3.5.3)

Regards,
dave