can't apt-get install

Hello everyone,

hope anybody can help. Here is the problem...

First day: Installed current Debian testing on Athlon XP via network. Took a long time as the ISP hat some problem, losing a lot of packets, as I would figure out later. Finally, when it rebooted, I got to the command line login prompt, leaving me wondering whether the dist came without a desktop environment by default. As I would later figure out, too, the debian installer simply left out packages it lost TCP connection on, without re-trying to get them or asking the user what to do! Who the f* is responsible for that design? Anyway...

Second day: ISP's problem was resolved. Tried to "apt-get install gnome". After having downloaded all new packages, apt-get simply hang at 99%. Forver. Without CPU load. Did apt-get clean/autoclean/update. Changed net source. No change. Reproducable.

Decided to re-format and re-install. This time everything seemed fine, after reboot I immediately got into the gnome environment. Of course I immediately wanted to install some packages again. BUT! Again the same problem! Small packages worked fine, e.g. "apt-get install madplay". But I couldn't install any bigger packages like xmms or lyx. What is going on here? Anyone has a clue?

Thanks for your feedback!
Michael