Re: Can't install new packages with apt-get due to unresolved dependencies -- How do I fix them?

Sorry, I guess I was looking for a generic solution and didn't think the actual package name mattered.  But this is what I get (package = kdebase-kio-plugins (3.3.2-1sarge3)):

Unpacking kdebase-kio-plugins (from kdebase-kio-plugins_3.3.2-1sarge3_i386.deb)
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde3/kio_imap4.la`, which is also in package kdepim-kio-plugins
<<<message is repeated but for kio_imap4.so, imap4.protocol, and imaps.protocol as well>>>

On 8/29/06, Mathias Brodala <info@noctus.net> wrote:
Hello Glen.

> Anyway,
> as a result of that I can't install any new packages now because it
> keeps telling me "xxx: Depends on yyy blah blah) and "apt-get -f
> install" doesn't fix anything because it just tries to install the
> package which failed before, and fails again.
>
> What can I do to fix this dependency problem?

You could tell us the *exact* error you get now and the package which causes this.

If there is really no other way, you can do the following:

# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/packagename.deb

Regards, Mathias