Can't install new packages with apt-get due to unresolved dependencies -- How do I fix them?

Hi,

A recent "apt-get upgrade" kinda failed because of some error (forgot what it was, but I think it was trouble overwriting some file).  Anyway, as a result of that I can't install any new packages now because it keeps telling me "xxx: Depends on yyy blah blah) and "apt-get -f install" doesn't fix anything because it just tries to install the package which failed before, and fails again.

What can I do to fix this dependency problem?

Thanks,
-GY